Biomedical Engineer at The National University Hospital of Iceland and Director of Institute of Biomedical and Neural Engineering, Reykjavik University
e-mail: paologar (at) landspitali.is
Phones: office: +354-5431533, mobile: +354-8245384
Paolo Gargiulo has been active in the field of Clinical Engineering and medical Image processing and 3-D modeling for surgical planning. He studied at TU Wien and finished his PhD in 2008. He has published over 30 papers in peer reviewed international journals and chapters in academic books. He is currently member of EU-COST project called Namabio, consultant of MedEl co-operating with Össur for the assessment of total hip arthroplasty, with Cornell University (US) in Larynx Pacemaker development and with Washington University (US) in Brain Modeling project.
- 2007 Co-author in the winning paper at MIMICS Innovation award in Washington USA
- 2008 Finalist for Student Innovation award (as supervisor). Nýsköpunarverðlaun forseta Íslands 2008
- 2012 Finalist for Student Innovation award (as supervisor). Nýsköpunarverðlaun forseta Íslands 2013
- 2013 Young scientist of the year at University Hospital Landspitali
Research interest: intersect the fields of neuro science and tissue engineering
- Development project: Design and development of the Icelandic Pacemaker database
- Research project: The Role of longevity in the purchase of Pacemaker based on Icelandic Implant Statistics
- Research and development project: Telemedicine for seamen in the North Atlantic (Project NATS)
- Development project: Tele-ECG, development of ECG recorder and transmission link by Bluetooth (prototype)
- Development project: Computational work and modelling in the Icelandic part of the European project RISE.
- Development and Assessment of rapid prototyping technology in medical application
PhD study in Biomedical engineering at Vienna University of Technology. PhD title: "3D Modelling and Monitoring of Denervated Muscle under Functional Electrical Stimulation Treatment and Associated Bone Structural Changes"
2006 - Service at Landspitali of 3D modelling and rapid prototyping to support operation planning
and diagnosis in different clinical cases
2008 -Assistant Professor School of Science and Engineering, Reykjavik University
2009- Consultant work for Med-el Hearing Implant Company
2012- Member of COST action project NAMABIO